Facebook’s build-in chat feature is useful, but it lacks a desktop IM. Who will open facebook window for hours just for chatting? Browsers can crash or get accidently closed, therefore putting an end to the conversation. I am never comfortable with messengers build inside a website and prefer using a desktop IM.
Digsby is the first 3rd party messenger to support facebook’s chat feature. It is a cross-platform messenger available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. No hacks or plugins are required. Just register for an Digsby account and login with it. Once you are logged in, click Add Account. Now in the Accounts tab, click Add IM Account and select Facebook Chat from the list.
Enter your facebook login details and start chatting.
It’s that simple!
Pidgin is an opensource 3rd party IM that has a large user base but sadly till today there is no official support for facebook chat. The only way to connect with Facebook chat is through a plugin.
Grab the Facebook Chat Plugin for Pidgin and with it you can log into the Facebook servers, grab the buddy list, send/receive messages, add/remove friends, receive notifications, search for Facebook friends and set your Facebook status.
Once you have installed this plugin, you will find Facebook listed among the supported IMs.
Enter your facebook login details and click Add. Once added, you will see the list of facebook buddies that are online instantly.
Adium (Mac OS X)
Adium is a free opensource IM for Mac OS X. The latest version(1.3.3) has a build-in support for facebook chat, just login with your facebook account and you are good to go.
Above screenshot is taken from AllFacebook
The popular Facebook download “Chit Chat” is in essence a traditional chat client that makes it possible for you to login to Facebook Chat.
There are many advantages to using Chit Chat – just for example, if you’ve ever have had the problem whereby you’ve lost messages when you’ve surfed away from your Facebook Chat page – you won’t have this problem with Chit Chat. Moreover, Chit Chat allows you to insert emoticons and use text formatting without ever having used codes.
Chit Chat supports:
- Chat Logging – Save your conversations manually or automatically for a later date
- Emoticons – Insert smileys without having to remember their codes
- Text Formatting – Use bold and italic at a click of a button in your Facebook Messages!
- Visual Notifications – Shows you when you’ve received a message
- Online Notifications – Let’s you know when you’ve received a message.
Gabtastik is a Site Specific Browser (SSB) for web chat services similar to Mozilla’s Prism project. Supported chat services so far are Facebook chat and Google Talk. Gabtaskit is available for both Windows and OS X. However, keep in mind that Gabtastik doesn’t bring any new features to Facebook chat. You’re still restricted to the minimalistic interface.
Have you ever heard Trillian Instant Messenger? Cerulean Studios is the creators of Trillian Instant Messenger and this instant messenger (IM) can support Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and many more. Recently Facebook has been added in their plugin which by the way is very conveninet for those who are Facebook fanatics.
1. Login in to your Trillian account and go to the Trillian Preferences.
2. Go to Plugins sections. Choose the Facebook plugin.
3. Next, go to Identities & Connections. Add your name and click Connect.
4. A windows will pop out and ask your to insert you email and password from Facebook site.
5. Insert your username and password.
6. Now your are up-to-date with your Facebook. With one instant messenger you can check your Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and Facebook.